On 27 Oct 2017, at 03:21, Zhang, Liyun
<liyun.zh...@intel.com<mailto:liyun.zh...@intel.com>> wrote:

Hi all:
1.       I want to build spark on jdk9 and test it with Hadoop on jdk9 env. I
search for jiras related to JDK9. I only found
SPARK-13278<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-13278>.  This means now
spark can build or run successfully on JDK9 ?

Best Regards
Kelly Zhang/Zhang,Liyun

Don't know about spark itself, but I do know that getting Hadoop on JDK9 is
still a WiP, primarily because they've locked it down so much (good) including
the things hadoop gets at to make things like kerberos auth work (bad)

A large part of the issues are with moving its dependencies to Java 9
compatible ones (Log4J, mockito, JUnit) —all of those which only surface in
testing and in the build itself won't be relevant for Spark standalone. Other
than that, YARN doesn't work

Most of the work has been done by one person (Akira @ NEC); if there are other
people willing to help, including building & testing Spark against (locally
built) JDK9 Hadoop artifacts life would be better. We could maybe build &
release some alpha-quality Hadoop 3.1.x-alpha-JDK9 artifacts if that would help

FWIW, there's long been some background chatter between the old Sun JDK team &
the ASF big data stack devs; modules is something wonderful which will kill the
need for shading and reduce/eliminate classpath hell. Earlier on there was some
discussion about having proper 2d arrays & direct memory access of some
structures, but that's not in this version. Give it time.

Oracle are being aggressive about retiring Java 8: by Sept 2018 they plan to
not provide public updates for it. Which means building against Java 9 dev time
is here for everyone