Well this sounds a lot for “only” 17 billion. However you can limit the
resources of the job so no need that it takes all of them (might be a little
bit longer).
Alternatively did you try to use the hbase tables directly in Hive as external
tables and do a simple ctas? Works better if Hive is on Tez but might be also
worth a try with mr as an engine.