I’m glad this discussion is happening on dev@ :)

Personally I like customizing with shell env variables during rolling my
own image, but definitely documentation the expectations/usage of the
variables is needed before we can really call it an API.

On the related question I suspect two of the more “common” likely
customizations is adding additional jars for bootstrapping fetching from a
DFS & also similarity complicated Python dependencies (although given the
Pythons support isn’t merged yet it’s hard to say what exactly this would
look like).

I could also see some vendors wanting to add some bootstrap/setup scripts
to fetch keys or other things.

What other ways do folks foresee customizing their Spark docker containers?