On Wed, Aug 15, 2018 at 12:45 PM, Reynold Xin <r...@databricks.com> wrote:

> What's the reason we don't want to do the OS updates right now? Is it due
> to the unpredictability of potential issues that might happen and end up
> delaying 2.4 release?
>
> that is exactly it...  i haven't had a chance to test everything (esp
docs, release builds, etc), and since there have been many changes pushed
to various branches, some builds are failing in different ways on centos vs
ubuntu.  things are very, very fluid right now.

we are SUPER close to being able to move the vast majority of builds to
ubuntu, but even after than happens there will almost definitely be a
non-zero amount of babysitting and debugging that needs to happen.  all of
that babysitting and debugging would potentially delay the 2.4 cut even
more.

in fact, i don't see us getting rid of all of the centos machines until EOY
(see my above comment, re docs, release etc).  these are the builds that
will remain on centos for the near future:
https://rise.cs.berkeley.edu/jenkins/label/spark-release/
https://rise.cs.berkeley.edu/jenkins/label/spark-packaging/
https://rise.cs.berkeley.edu/jenkins/label/spark-docs/

these all run on amp-jenkins-worker-01, which will remain untouched.

HOWEVER:

i'm 99%+ certain that i can port the PRB builder over to ubuntu w/a pared
down python 3.5 installation.  i have a build running now (
https://rise.cs.berkeley.edu/jenkins/view/RISELab%20Infra/job/ubuntuSparkPRB/74/)
and if it behaves appropriately (meaning testing all the right things
w/py35), i should be able to get two more non-critical centos build nodes
reinstalled w/ubuntu and deployed by EOW.  this will give us enough jenkins
executors and allow PRB throughput to not decrease.

if the dev community is ok w/taking this plunge, i will make it happen.

shane (who wants everyone to remember that it's just little old me running
this...  not a team of people)  ;)
--
Shane Knapp
UC Berkeley EECS Research / RISELab Staff Technical Lead