Hi Reynold/Ivan,

People familiar with pandas and R dataframes will likely have used the
dataframe "melt" idiom, which is the functionality I believe you are
referring to:
https://pandas.pydata.org/pandas-docs/stable/generated/pandas.melt.html

I have had to write this function myself in my own work in Spark SQL, as it
is a common step in data wrangling when you do not control the structure of
the input dataframes you are working with in your pipelines.

I would hence second Ivan that adding it as a native dataframe method would
no doubt be helpful (and for what it's worth, so would other concepts from
the pandas API, such as named indexing & multilevel indexing).

Cheers,
Mike