I'm not sure if it was Sqoop or another similar system, but I've heard
about at least one Hadoop to RDBMS system working by writing to temporary
staging tables in the database. The commit then runns a big INSERT INTO
that selects from all the temporary tables and cleans up after by deleting
them. That way, the database can optimize the real insert by copying the
underlying files from one table into the other table.