I am probably splitting hairs to finely, but I was considering the
difference between improvements to the jvm-side (py4j and the scala/java
code) that would make it easier to write the python layer ("python-friendly
api"), and actual improvements to the python layers ("friendly python api").

They're not mutually exclusive of course, and both worth working on. But
it's *possible* to improve either without the other.

Stub files look like a great solution for type annotations, maybe even if
only python 3 is supported.

I definitely agree that any decision to drop python 2 should not be taken
lightly. Anecdotally, I'm seeing an increase in python developers
announcing that they are dropping support for python 2 (and loving it). As
people have already pointed out, if we don't drop python 2 for spark 3.0,
we're stuck with it until 4.0, which would place spark in a
possibly-awkward position of supporting python 2 for some time after it
goes EOL.

Under the current release cadence, spark 3.0 will land some time in early
2019, which at that point will be mere months until EOL for py2.