I tested both ways, and it actually works fine. It calls into question
whether there's really a fix we need with 2.12.7, but, I hear two
informed opinions (Darcy and the scala release notes) that it was
relevant. As we have no prior 2.12 support, I guess my feeling was
indeed to get this update in to the first 2.12-supporting release.