+1, that's always been my view.

Although, to be fair, and as Sean mentioned, the jump from jdk8 is
probably the harder part. After that it's less likely (hopefully?)
that we'll run into issues in non-LTS releases. And even if we don't
officially support them, trying to keep up with breaking changes might
make it easier to support the following LTS.

(Just as an example, both jdk9 and jdk10 are already EOL.)

--
Marcelo