Hi all,

I'd like to bring to the attention of a more people a problem which has
been there for long, ie, self joins. Currently, we have many troubles with
them. This has been reported several times to the community and seems to
affect many people, but as of now no solution has been accepted for it.

I created a PR some time ago in order to address the problem (
https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/21449), but Wenchen mentioned he tried
to fix this problem too but so far no attempt was successful because there
is no clear semantic (
https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/21449#issuecomment-393554552).

So I'd like to propose to discuss here which is the best approach for
tackling this issue, which I think would be great to fix for 3.0.0, so if
we decide to introduce breaking changes in the design, we can do that.

Thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Marco