On Mon, Mar 4, 2019 at 1:56 PM Mark Hamstra <m...@clearstorydata.com> wrote:

> +1

Mark, just to be clear, are you +1 on the SPIP or Imran's point?

> On Mon, Mar 4, 2019 at 12:52 PM Imran Rashid <im...@therashids.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Mar 3, 2019 at 6:51 PM Xiangrui Meng <men...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> This is also an API/design discussion.
>>>

>> I agree with Felix -- this is more than just an API question.  It has a
>> huge impact on the complexity of what you're proposing.  You might be
>> proposing big changes to a core and brittle part of spark, which is already
>> short of experts.

To my understanding, Felix's comment is mostly on the user interfaces,
stating upfront allocation is less useful, specially for large jobs. I
agree that for large jobs we better have dynamic allocation, which was
mentioned in the YARN support section in the companion scoping doc. We
restrict the new container type to initially requested to keep things
simple. However upfront allocation already meets the requirements of basic
workflows like data + DL training/inference + data. Saying "it is less
useful specifically for large jobs" kinda missed the fact that "it is super
useful for basic use cases".

Your comment is mostly on the implementation side, which IMHO it is the KEY
question to conclude this vote: does the design sketch sufficiently
demonstrate that the internal changes to Spark scheduler is manageable? I
read Xingbo's design sketch and I think it is doable, which led to my +1.
But I'm not an expert on the scheduler. So I would feel more confident if
the design was reviewed by some scheduler experts. I also read the design
sketch to support different cluster managers, which I think is less
critical than the internal scheduler changes.

>> I don't see any value in having a vote on "does feature X sound cool?"

I believe no one would disagree. To prepare the companion doc, we went
through several rounds of discussions to provide concrete stories such that
the proposal is not just "cool".

> We have to evaluate the potential benefit against the risks the feature
>> brings and the continued maintenance cost.  We don't need super low-level
>> details, but we have to a sketch of the design to be able to make that
>> tradeoff.

Could you review the design sketch from Xingbo, help evaluate the cost, and
provide feedback?