Mildly off-topic:

>From a *correctness* perspective only, it seems Spark can read bucketed
Hive tables just fine. I am ignoring the fact that Spark doesn't take
advantage of the bucketing.

Is that a fair assessment? Or is it more complicated than that?

Also, Spark has code to prevent an application from accidentally writing to
a bucketed Hive table (except it as a hole
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-27498>). Except for that hole,
the write case is covered.

Spark apps reading bucketed Hive tables seems to be common, so I hope it
works (as it seems to).