Thanks Tom.

I finally had time to look at the updated SPIP 10 mins ago. I support the high
level idea and +1 on the SPIP.

That said, I think the proposed API is too complicated and invasive change to
the existing internals. A much simpler API would be to expose a columnar batch
iterator interface, i.e. an uber column oriented UDF with ability to manage
life cycle. Once we have that, we can also refactor the existing Python UDFs to
use that interface.

As I said earlier (couple months ago when this was first surfaced?), I support
the idea to enable *external* column oriented processing logic, but not
changing Spark itself to have two processing mode, which is simply very
complicated and would create very high maintenance burden for the project.