+1 (binding)

I think this is a really important feature for spark.

First, there is already a lot of interest in alternative shuffle storage in
the community.  There is already a lot of interest in alternative shuffle
storage, from dynamic allocation in kubernetes, to even just improving
stability in standard on-premise use of Spark.  However, they're often
stuck doing this in forks of Spark, and in ways that are not maintainable
(because they copy-paste many spark internals) or are incorrect (for not
correctly handling speculative execution & stage retries).

Second, I think the specific proposal is good for finding the right balance
between flexibility and too much complexity, to allow incremental
improvements.  A lot of work has been put into this already to try to
figure out which pieces are essential to make alternative shuffle storage
implementations feasible.

Of course, that means it doesn't include everything imaginable; some things
still aren't supported, and some will still choose to use the older
ShuffleManager api to give total control over all of shuffle.  But we know
there are a reasonable set of things which can be implemented behind the
api as the first step, and it can continue to evolve.