OK to push back: "disagreeing with the premise that we can afford to not be
maximal on standard 3. The correctness of the data is non-negotiable, and
whatever solution we settle on cannot silently adjust the user’s data under any
circumstances."

This blanket statement sounds great on surface, but there are a lot of
subtleties. "Correctness" is absolutely important, but engineering/prod
development are often about tradeoffs, and the industry has consistently traded
correctness for performance or convenience, e.g. overflow checks, null
pointers, consistency in databases ...

It all depends on the use cases and to what degree use cases can tolerate. For
example, while I want my data engineering production pipeline to throw any
error when the data doesn't match my expectations (e.g. type widening,
overflow), if I'm doing some quick and dirty data science, I don't want the job
to just fail due to outliers.