Dongjoon, I don't think we have any conflicts here. As stated in other
threads multiple times, as long as Hive 2.3 and Hadoop 3.2 version upgrades
can be decoupled, I have no preference over picking which Hive/Hadoop
version as the default version. So the following two plans both work for me:

   1. Keep Hive 1.2 as default Spark 3.0 execution Hive version, and have
   an extra hive-2.3 profile.
   2. Choose Hive 2.3 as default Spark 3.0 execution Hive version, and have
   an extra hive-1.2 profile.

BTW, I was also discussing Hive dependency issues with other people
offline, and I realized that the Hive isolated client loader is not well
known, and caused unnecessary confusion/worry. So I would like to provide
some background context for readers who are not familiar with Spark Hive
integration here. *Building Spark 3.0 with Hive 1.2.1 does NOT mean that
you can only interact with Hive 1.2.1.*

Spark does work with different versions of Hive metastore via an isolated
classloading mechanism. *Even if Spark itself is built with the Hive 1.2.1
fork, you can still interact with a Hive 2.3 metastore, and this has been
true ever since Spark 1.x.* In order to do this, just set the following two
options according to instructions in our official doc page
<http://spark.apache.org/docs/latest/sql-data-sources-hive-tables.html#interacting-with-different-versions-of-hive-metastore>
:

   - spark.sql.hive.metastore.version
   - spark.sql.hive.metastore.jars

Say you set "spark.sql.hive.metastore.version" to "2.3.6", and
"spark.sql.hive.metastore.jars" to "maven", Spark will pull Hive 2.3.6
dependencies from Maven at runtime when initializing the Hive metastore
client. And those dependencies will NOT conflict with the built-in Hive
1.2.1 jars, because the downloaded jars are loaded using an isolated
classloader (see here
<https://github.com/apache/spark/blob/1febd373ea806326d269a60048ee52543a76c918/sql/hive/src/main/scala/org/apache/spark/sql/hive/client/IsolatedClientLoader.scala>).
Historically, we call these two sets of Hive dependencies "execution Hive"
and "metastore Hive". The former is mostly used for features like SerDe,
while the latter is used to interact with Hive metastore. And the Hive
version upgrade we are discussing here is about the execution Hive.

Cheng