Hi Devs,

I would like to know what is the current roadmap of making CalendarInterval comparable and orderable again (SPARK-29679, SPARK-29385, #26337).

With #27262, this got reverted but SPARK-30551 does not mention how to go forward in this matter. I have found SPARK-28494, but this seems to be stale.

While I find it useful to compare such intervals, I cannot find a way to work around the missing comparability. Is there a way to get, e.g. the seconds that an interval represents to be able to compare intervals? In org.apache.spark.sql.catalyst.util.IntervalUtils there are methods like getEpoch or getDuration, which I cannot see are exposed to SQL or in the org.apache.spark.sql.functions package.

Thanks for the insights,
Enrico