Fully agree Holden, would be great to include the Outreachy project. Adding
annotations is a very friendly way to get familiar with the codebase.

I've also created a PR to see what's needed to get mypy in:
https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/29180 From there on we can start
adding annotations.

Cheers, Fokko

Op di 21 jul. 2020 om 21:40 schreef Holden Karau <hol...@pigscanfly.ca>:

> Yeah I think this could be a great project now that we're only Python
> 3.5+. One potential is making this an Outreachy project to get more folks
> from different backgrounds involved in Spark.
>
> On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 12:33 PM Driesprong, Fokko <fo...@driesprong.frl>
> wrote:
>
>> Since we've recently dropped support for Python <=3.5
>> <https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/28957>, I think it would be nice
>> to add support for type annotations. Having this in the main repository
>> allows us to do type checking using MyPy <http://mypy-lang.org/> in the
>> CI itself. <http://mypy-lang.org/>
>>
>> This is now handled by the Stub file:
>> https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0484/#stub-files However I think it
>> is nicer to integrate the types with the code itself to keep everything in
>> sync, and make it easier for the people who work on the codebase itself. A
>> first step would be to move the stubs into the codebase. First step would
>> be to cover the public API which is the most important one. Having the
>> types with the code itself makes it much easier to understand. For example,
>> if you can supply a str or column here:
>> https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/29122/files#diff-f5295f69bfbdbf6e161aed54057ea36dR2486
>>
>> One of the implications would be that future PR's on Python should cover
>> annotations on the public API's. Curious what the rest of the community
>> thinks.
>>
>> Cheers, Fokko
>>

>> Op di 21 jul. 2020 om 20:04 schreef zero323 <mszymkiew...@gmail.com>:
>>
>>> Given a discussion related to  SPARK-32320 PR
>>> <https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/29122>   I'd like to resurrect
>>> this
>>> thread. Is there any interest in migrating annotations to the main