Indeed, though the possible advantage is that in theory, you can have
different release cycle than for the main repo (I am not sure if that's
feasible in practice or if that was the intention).

I guess all depends on how we envision the future of annotations
(including, but not limited to, how conservative we want to be in the
future). Which is probably something that should be discussed here.