On Fri, Jan 29, 2021 at 9:46 AM Sean Owen <sro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Are there implications for storing UDTs in particular engines or formats?

I've found UDTs I/O to Parquet without problem.

They work fine with PySpark with implementation of mirror classes. Without
properly constructed mirror classe they show up as structs, which isn't a
bad fallback.

However, they do *not* work with Spark's use of Arrow, as they get rejected
here:
https://github.com/apache/spark/blob/3a299aa6480ac22501512cd0310d31a441d7dfdc/sql/core/src/main/scala/org/apache/spark/sql/execution/arrow/ArrowWriter.scala#L75-L76

--
Simeon Fitch