If it requires a Kafka broker update, we should not simply bump the version
of Kafka client. Probably we should at least provide separate artifacts.

We should not enforce the upgrade of other component just because we want
to upgrade the dependency. At least it should not happen in minor versions
of Spark. Hopefully that’s not a case.

There’s a belief that Kafka client-broker compatibility is both backwards
and forwards. That is true in many cases (that’s what Kafka excels to), but
there seems to be the case it is not satisfied with specific configuration
and specific setup of Kafka broker. E.g KIP-679.

The less compatible config is going to turn on by default in 3.0 and will
not work correctly with the specific setup of Kafka broker. So that is us
who breaks things for specific setup, and my point is how much
responsibility we should have to guide the end users to avoid the
frustration.

2022년 3월 23일 (수) 오후 9:41, Sean Owen <sro...@gmail.com>님이 작성: