Hi all,

I would like to raise a discussion about updating documentation hosted for
EOL and maintenance
versions.

To provide some context, we currently host the documentation for EOL
versions of Apache Spark,
which can be found at links like
https://spark.apache.org/docs/2.3.1/api/python/index.html. Some
of their documentation appear in search results on the top if you google.
The same applies to
maintenance releases. Once technical mistakes in the documentation,
incorrect information,
etc. are landed mistakenly, they become permanent and/or cannot easily be
fixed, e.g., until
the next maintenance release.

In practice, we’ve already taken steps to update and fix the documentation
for these EOL and
maintenance releases, including:

   - Algolia and Docsearch in which we require to make some changes after
   individual release
   for allowing search results in Apache Spark website and documentation
   - Regenerating the documentation that was incorrectly generated.
   - Fixing the malformed download page
   - …

I would like to take a step further, and want for the doc changes of
improvement and better examples,
in maintenance branches, to be landed to the hosted documentation for
better usability.
The changes landed into EOL or maintenance branches, according to SemVer,
are usually only bug
fixes, so the documentation changes such as fixing examples would not
introduce any surprises.

Those documentation are critical to the end users, and this is the very one
I heard most often
where we should improve, and I eagerly would like to improve the
usability here.

*TL;DR*, what I would like to propose is to improve our current practice of
landing updates in the
documentation hosted for EOL and maintenance versions so that we can show a
better search
result for Spark documentation, end users can read the correct information
in the versions they use,
and follow the better examples provided in Spark documentation.