Overall the proposal to make this an option for Kafka source SGTM.
You can address the doc review and can send PR (in parallel or after the
review).
Note that currently executors cache client connection to Kafka and reuse
the connection and buffered records for next micro-batch.
Your proposal would ideally keep that affinity as well (both can be done).