This was a trivial operation:

I just did a 'git rm -rf <directories>' in my personal fork, then
grepped the entire repo again to ensure that _nothing_ referenced
those directories.
(They were referencing each other, which is why they didn't appear as
leaf nodes in my search).  This is all PR #165 now.

Hopefully this can be agreed upon expeditiously, and then I can resume
looking for leaf nodes to prune.

The ultimate goal of this is to eliminate all the duplicate files
(there are like 50 of them) and have only one remaining copy of each
file, so we'll have confidence we know which one is the one that shows
up on the website, when we go editing stuff like links and copyright
notices.

Thanks,
Jeremy