Martin Sebor wrote:

>> The mangling of std::aligned_union depends on support for variadic
>> templates in that specializations of the template will be mangled
>> differently depending on whether _RWSTD_NO_VARIADIC_TEMPLATES is
>> #defined or not. It seems that it should be possible to assure
>> compatible mangling between the two,
>
>After thinking about it some more I no longer believe this is doable.
>With variadic templates the mangled aligned_union will involve only
>the names of the types the template is instantiated on. Without them
>I don't see any way to emulate this unique behavior. I.e., given
>a class template X that takes, say, 2 template arguments, I don't
>see a way to prevent the compiler from including the names of both
>template arguments in the mangled name for the specialization of
>the template on just one argument. The second argument is always
>there, even if it's not actually referenced in code.
>
>So it seems to me that if we provide "workarounds" for the absence
>of support for variadic templates in the compiler there will be no
>way to migrate from a compiler without the feature to one with it
>without breaking the ABI of code that uses templates like
>aligned_union or tuple.

So, I'll ask again. Should we remove the workarounds for missing
variadic template support to avoid any future compatibility issues? This
would essentially remove parts of c++0x until the compiler provided the
necessary support to do it the right way, but I don't really see that as
a bad thing.

Travis