> * I would not like to see major changes to the build infrastructure at
> this time. One of the goals of this project has been portability, and
> this includes the build infrastructure. My understanding is that gmake
> is considered to be more portable than some of the alternatives (cmake,
> ant).

I might disagree with that, since gmake on windows not only needs
gmake.exe on path but also a several Cygwin tools. Also MSVC port needs
separate nmake instructions. On other hand Cmake has - not nice indeed -
a specialized language separated from the platform to regenerate needed
build boilerplate.

Just mine 2 cents,
Wojciech