Github user vesense commented on the pull request:

    https://github.com/apache/storm/pull/977#issuecomment-169265399

    Respond to @dossett comments:
    > I am not familiar with all the ways that bolts can receive tick tuples,
but does SolrBolt also need a way to specify that it should receive tick tuples
at all?

    To my knowledge, there are two ways that bolts can receive tick tuples. One
is global setting when building topology.
    ```
    Config config = new Config();
    config.put(Config.TOPOLOGY_TICK_TUPLE_FREQ_SECS, 5);
    ```

    The other one is local setting in bolt.
    ```
    @Override
    public Map<String, Object> getComponentConfiguration() {
        Map<String, Object> conf = new HashMap<String, Object>();
        conf.put(Config.TOPOLOGY_TICK_TUPLE_FREQ_SECS, 4);
        return conf;
    }
    ```

    All bolt tasks will receive tick tuples in the same interval when existing
global setting.
    Once we set `Config.TOPOLOGY_TICK_TUPLE_FREQ_SECS` in bolt Foo
`getComponentConfiguration()`, the value will override the global setting.
    And bolt Foo tasks will receive tick tuples in a interval different with
other tasks.

    So, it is not necessary to add `Config.TOPOLOGY_TICK_TUPLE_FREQ_SECS` in
`getComponentConfiguration()`. It depends on the user scenario.