Github user HeartSaVioR commented on the pull request:

    https://github.com/apache/storm/pull/1217#issuecomment-200571684

    @roshannaik
    I'm sorry I feel I picked the wrong word `micro optimization` to confuse
you what I mean. `local optimization` seems clearer.

    Btw, I guess @ptgoetz got me.
    Yes, I agree we need micro-benchmark to clear out variables, but I think it
has to be re-evaluated with normal benchmark to reason how it affects in
relatively normal situation, especially if it has to touch functionalities.
    If it doesn't touch functionality I would say "Awesome work!" even though
under 5% of performance gain on local optimization.
    (Why STORM-1526 and STORM-1539 didn't need to re-evaluate with normal
benchmark is that it didn't affect any functionalities.)

    And I guess this overhead (0.006720889 ms = 6720.889 ns per each tuple
spend in send_to_eventlogger  as @arunmahadevan posted) is relatively very
small than what Storm has to do for process tuple - enqueue and dequeue,
finding task id to send, serde, transfer - which we may find spots to improve.

    Though I agree that's inside of critical path so we may want to find the
alternative way with not touching functionality.
    If you really want to disable it by default, it would be better to post
mail to dev mailing list to build consensus first.