Github user HeartSaVioR commented on the pull request:

    https://github.com/apache/storm/pull/1335#issuecomment-216535715

    Issue is that some users report that storm-kafka 1.0.0 with 0.9 is not
working properly.

    Please refer https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/STORM-1755 and #1386.
    When we adjust the version into 0.8.x, that option becomes useless for test
codes, which could incur failures which seems hard to find.

    But using `metadata.fetch.timeout.ms` wouldn't make any issues for Kafka
0.8 and 0.9. And I don't think storm-kafka can support Kafka same or upper than
0.10.0 clearly so no issue for using deprecated property. But this is just my 2
cents and I'd like to hear about other opinions, too.