It’s an ASF requirement that all discussions, etc., particularly where decision
making happens, are archived on ASF hardware. Github is not on ASF hardware, so
mirroring comments to ASF JIRA helps satisfy that requirement, and also allows
us to use github.

In particular, we need an audit trail around how code enters the codebase —
tracking +1s from committers, etc. are a big part of that.

There are some experiments underway that could greatly improve the way we’re
allowed to use github at the ASF. Hopefully those will work out well.

-Taylor