We were using git before, then a year ago moved back to subversion to implement
versioned documentation [1].

If we do decide to move back to git for this, I would recommend using a
separate git repository so it doesn’t bloat our main code repository. When
generating javadoc for a new version, the svn commit to publish the site can
take around 20 minutes.

-Taylor