In storm, OOM exception is typically caused by incorrectly accumulating
references to the objects that should have been freed. This bug can be
pinpointed and solved by analyzing the memory dump file. In particular, when
OOM happens on a particular worker, a dump file will generated (in the same
folder as storm binary, e.g., storm/bin/) which is an instantaneous memory
snapshot. You can use dump analytics tools such as VisualVM to see if there are
any classes with unexpected large number of instances. If yes, it is highly
likely that you forgot to remove the references to the instances after usage.

Hope this helps.

Li Wang

Sent from my iPhone