We already have to keep JIRA updated, and keeping JIRA consistent is easier
since there isn't one view of the resolved issues for each git branch like
we have with CHANGELOG, so there's no worry about e.g. master having a
different opinion on solved issues in 1.2.0 than 1.x-branch has.

I think we already have the guideline that only small (e.g. typo) changes
are okay without a JIRA issue. We're already encouraging one commit per
issue, most of the PRs I've seen recently have been squashing before merge.
Is this not your experience?

I think we have the contributors/committers lists on SVN as well for
generating http://storm.apache.org/contribute/People.html at
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/storm/site/_data/. I think Jungtaek was
suggesting keeping the committers list, and generating the contributors
list for each release by either commit authors or JIRA assignees, but he
can probably elaborate better.