Github user revans2 commented on the issue:

    Shading here is different from how it is in 1.x.  For this one there is a
separate package that creates a shaded uber jar.  The code inside storm-client
and storm-server that need to use it will call the shaded APIs directly.

    The upside is that IDEs work grate because they are operating on the shaded
APIs and don't have to worry about how shading works.  The downside is that
doing a full build is now a 2 step process.  This is because of a "bug" in
maven/shade were shading in a multi-module project results in down stream
builds not seeing the shaded dependencies.  I cannot really combine them into a
single build step because the version of maven with this bug in it is now
standard in most places, so our "fix" for 1.x is not really valid any more.