Derek ran into this error when building from source:

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal
org.apache.storm:storm-maven-plugins:2.1.0:version-info (version-info) on
project storm-core: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: SCM NONE is not
supported -> [Help 1]

The log before this is

[INFO] --- storm-maven-plugins:2.1.0:version-info (version-info) @ storm-core
---
[WARNING] [svn, info] failed with error code 1
[WARNING] [git, branch] failed with error code 128
[INFO] SCM: NONE

I compared with apache-storm-2.0.0 and found that it can pass although there
are similar WARNINGs:

[INFO] --- storm-maven-plugins:2.0.0:version-info (version-info) @ storm-core
---
[WARNING] [svn, info] failed with error code 1
[WARNING] [git, branch] failed with error code 128
[INFO] SCM: NONE
[INFO] Computed MD5: 58779abf76d8a8bbd20a2bd5f466

This is the PR that changed the behavior
https://github.com/apache/storm/pull/3061/files#diff-f1197661326b04376e94e3b25cc3eedcR197

<https://github.com/apache/storm/pull/3061/files#diff-f1197661326b04376e94e3b25cc3eedcR197>.
 I am not sure what this storm-maven-plugin should do though. Will need to look
into it. Or if anyone has better idea, please let me know.