Hi,

While doing some online research on Multi-PaaS deployments, I found this
white paper [1], "PaaSHopper: Policy-driven middleware for multi-PaaS
environments", which proposes exactly what we are trying to do here.

According to the paper, following are the challenges faced by users when
deploying to multi-PaaS environments.

 - Heterogeneity in development and deployment.
There are a lot of vendor-specific solutions in PaaS world for similar
architectural concepts. Because of that portability and interoperability is
restrained. Also there is a risk of vendor lock-in due to complexities in
migrating to a different PaaS.

- Fine-grained control over execution and storage.
There can be security and legal concerns over the geographical location of
processing and storage of data. Also service providers need control over
how these PaaS environments are being utilized (based on policy model) to
minimize the cost.

PaaSHopper is a PaaS abstraction layer on top of different PaaS
environments. It enables control over application deployment and execution
through a policy-based model. However, I couldn't find a downloadable
product or open source implementation of it.

Advantages of proposed Stratos 5.0 solution to service providers as I see
it;

 - Service providers can use hybrid cloud deployments to reduce the cost.
Different PaaS providers may support different features but depending on
the use case of service providers PaaS environment selection can be
optimized.

 - Improved availability and scalability by deploying to multiple PaaS
environments through a single platform.

 - Improved interoperability of services deployed on muti-PaaS
environments. Stratos needs a good service discovery model to support this.

 - Portability. Service providers should be able to move to a different
PaaS without any changes to application code. Deployment and execution
aspects are offloaded to Stratos.

I think we need to discuss and clearly define the scope of Stratos in this
newly proposed architecture. We might have to come up with a DSL to
describe services and environments.

[1]
https://lirias.kuleuven.be/bitstream/123456789/470906/3/Walraven-JISA-15.pdf

Thanks.