On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 20:05:14 -0400, Ted Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 16:48:35 -0700, Craig McClanahan wrote:
> >ïI was just following the usual conventions in the Subversion book,
> >ïand am not attached to the location ("svn move" and "svn copy" are *
> >ïsweet*). ïBut first, a question ... if we are thinking about
> >ïactually keeping the end result, wouldn't it make just as much
> >ïsense to do the real work on Apache's svn server?
>
> At this point, I was thinking of drafting what we were going to do on the private
> server, and once we were sure it was what we wanted, then do it "once more with
> feeling" on the Apache SVN server. [Things always go *much* faster the second time
> around :)] Or, maybe even just get a tarball of the end-result and hand that over to
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

This (the former) is what I was thinking, too. When we're ready to
roll, we can have infra@ create an SVN repo and cvs2svn our existing
repo over to that, and then make the changes we know we want to make
to get us in shape for 2.0.

One important question, though: Where are we doing 1.2.x development /
maintenance? Are we leaving that in CVS and splitting off a new SVN
repo for 2.0 development, or are we converting to SVN lock, stock and
barrel?

I can see pros and cons to both approaches, although I think the
balance tips in favour of the lock, stock and barrel approach.

> But, if everyone is ready to have at it, we could just ask infrastructure@ for a SVN
> repository now and be done with it. I'm always ready to cut to the chase. :)

There's no harm in going ahead and getting the SVN repo set up now,
whether or not we continue to play in our playground prior to making
sweeping changes in the new repo. All we need to decide is whether or
not CVS is in the state we want it in for the switchover. Once it is,
we'll just want to label that point and freeze checkins until the SVN
repo is ready.

I'm happy to work with Fitz and the other infra@ folks to get our SVN
repo up and running once we've decided what we want to do.

--
Martin Cooper