Nathan, in looking specifically at your project, I'm wondering one thing: are you using the term "Module" synonymously with the sense of a Struts module as a separate "config/*" entry in the web.xml? Or is "module" just your term for a unit of a web application?

yes, we're using 'module' to mean a struts module -

/WEB-INF/[module-name]/struts-config.xml
/WEB-INF/[module-name]/tiles-defs.xml
/[module-name]/foobar.jsp
/[module-name]/styles/........
/[module-name]/images/........  etc

following this structure:
http://www.codeczar.com/beta/maven-struts-module-plugin/standards.html

I will make a note of your project. I can't guarantee when I'll have time to check it out further, and I have to admit that I don't immediately see it as a solution to any specific problem I've been having -- but since I am a Maven user and a Struts user, it may turn out to be interesting.

We see two uses of this plugin:

1) a mechanism to include 3rd party struts-module components within your web-application. e.g. LogWeb.
http://www.codeczar.com/beta/logweb/
We had the idea for this plugin as many users had problems bundling LogWeb within their web-apps, so we automated the bundling process with this plugin.

This is just an idea, but this plugin would pave the way for other generic web-components. It then becomes simple for developers to bundle these components into their webapps - e.g user management module, security module, messageboard module, etc.

2) a mechanism to manage complex web-apps consisting of many modules - facilitates decomposing your web-app project into many smaller module projects e.g:
http://www.codeczar.com/beta/struts-examples/
not strictly neccessary for the struts example web-app (as its fairly simple) but it demonstates the plugin.

Another idea would be that all of the struts webapps could be
built as modules as part of a single web-app - example, examples (upload, validator, exercise), documentation, tiles-documentation

So by now you've gotten the message that Struts will continue to have a Maven project.xml file, and it may be a while (if ever) before it matters more than that how "official" Struts' use of Maven is -- but if you have suggestions for improving the ways in which Struts (the project) uses Maven, I'm all ears.

we hacked around the project xml for the example app: http://www.codeczar.com/viewcvs/viewcvs.cgi/struts-examples/project.xml?rev=HEAD&cvsroot=Struts&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup not sure if this is of use to you.

More than happy to lend a hand getting the struts examples working with maven regardless of whether they use our struts-module plugin. let me know where I can help.

cheers
Nathan

Joe

-- Nathan Coast Managing Director codeczar ltd mobile: (852) 9049 5581 email: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] web: http://www.codeczar.com