Thanks again.  More useful information, Craig.  I am trying to figure
out a good way to do a Registry.java class without messing up garbage
collection.  I was hoping to use finalize() to keep track outside of
the garbage collection loop of live classes, but have discovered, I
think, that only classes with "new" in their creation have their
finalize() method called during garbage collection.

Do you have any ideas on a good hook for a registry on garbage
collection and live classes which does not inhibit garbage collection?

Callback?

Anyone else with an idea on that?

Jack

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 00:21:42 -0800, Craig McClanahan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Restarting the application works (for this particular scenario) ...
> but it makes any attempt to pretend to do "hot deploy" pretty
> pointless - the newly restarted app will already pick up the new
> version of your implementation class, without any special attention on
> the part of the app itself.  There is no need, if you're willing to
> restart the app, to do anything like this.

While the "hot deploy" part of the hot deploy would not be utilized in
this case, the dependency injection equivalent would, and without the
xml configuration being required.  So, there seems to be some, if not
a considerable, gain.  Yes?

Jack

~Native Proverb~