Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Struts Wiki" for change
notification.

The following page has been changed by GabrielZimmerman:
http://wiki.apache.org/struts/RoughSpots

      * [jcarreira] You're kidding, right? We've discussed this already....
      * [tmjee] -1 If possible, I'd like to keep xwork, not that I used it
apart from WebWork but, I don't know, it's just good to have it there.
      * [rainerh] -1 as well
+     * [Gabe] -1 I believe XWork should be moved over to Apache and more
importantly, the final decision on whether to do so should be made now rather
than later. However, I don't believe it should be merged with the former
webwork.
+
+ ---- /!\ '''Edit conflict - other version:''' ----
      * [phil] -1
+
+ ---- /!\ '''Edit conflict - your version:''' ----
+
+ ---- /!\ '''End of edit conflict''' ----

    1. Add java5 support to ognl. It's silly that it still doesn't handle enums
(that I know of).
      * [jcarreira] +1 this is biting us right now
      * [crazybob] What needs to be done here? We wrote a type converter for
enums. Is there more to it?
      * [rainerh] +1 as well
      * [tm_jee] +1
+
+ ---- /!\ '''Edit conflict - other version:''' ----
      * [phil] +1
      * [plightbo] +1 - we'll likely need to make new releases of OGNL to do
this. That means it would be a good opportunity to also fix up other problems
(Gabe probably knows the most about the limitations/problems here).
+
+ ---- /!\ '''Edit conflict - your version:''' ----
+     * [plightbo] +1 - we'll likely need to make new releases of OGNL to do
this. That means it would be a good opportunity to also fix up other problems
(Gabe probably knows the most about the limitations/problems here).
+     * [Gabe] +1 Hopefully, this would only be a modification in our
PropertyAccessors to include enums. Here is one place where we will want to
figure out a way that we can add these things but remain 1.4 compatible.
+
+ ---- /!\ '''End of edit conflict''' ----

    1. Clean up documentation. Focus on quality not quantity.
      * [jcarreira] Didn't you read the book? ;-)
@@ -276, +291 @@

      * [jcarreira] Shouldn't annotations be the default, and XML be the
override?
      * [crazybob] I think that's what he means. Speaking of annotations, I've
yet to see a method for representing result mappings using annotations that I
actually like (due to limitations of annotations). If we can't come up with
something decent, I'd just assume stick with XML; we shouldn't use annotations
for the sake of using annotations. I personally don't find the xwork.xml as
annoying as XML in other places. If we do simple things like defaulting the
action name to the simple name of the action class, it will be even more
pleasant. I definitely think we should use annotations for things like
validation.
      * [frankz] I for one have zero problem with annotations being an option,
even being the default, but do keep in mind that not everyone sees annotations
as really being that great of an idea.  I acknowledge it might the minority
view now, but I for one see it as configuration information scattered
throughout the code base, rather than in one known location (read: XML config
file), so speaking for myself, I am not entirely sold on annotations being
superior to XML config files (assuming the config files aren't overly complex
that is!)
+
+ ---- /!\ '''Edit conflict - other version:''' ----
      * [phil] I'd like to be able to reconfigure my application without the
need for recompilation. If annotations support that (or if we're using an
xdoclet/generator approach), then I'm all for it. Otherwise, keep the xwork.xml
file - it's clean, simple and to the point.
+
+ ---- /!\ '''Edit conflict - your version:''' ----
+
+ ---- /!\ '''End of edit conflict''' ----

    1. Fail fast with detailed error messages, ideally ones that show you what
you did wrong and what you should to.
       * [Gabe] +1 I've created an XWork issue related:
[http://jira.opensymphony.com/browse/XW-388]
@@ -297, +318 @@

    1. Simpler XML Configuration of actions. Ted mentioned adding wildcard
support for action names something like name="view*" where the wildcard can
then be used elsewhere as a variable. Another idea is allowing one action
configuration to extend another or having default action configuration that
other action configurations can use.
    1. Add the possibility of setting to the OgnlValueStack rather than pushing
so we can get rid of using the context for user app variables and reserve it
for framework variables. The user then wouldn't need to know anything about the
context, just the stack. Also, this allows us to get rid of the '#' sign
completely in expressions. Similarly remove the push tag to simplify the API.
More detail here: [http://jira.opensymphony.com/browse/XW-329] and here:
[https://issues.apache.org/struts/browse/WW-1133].
      * [plightbo] I still don't know about this. My biggest concern is being
able to do a fairly standard pattern of pushing an object on the stack (User)
and then including a common snippet such as user-details.jspf. Without the
stack and the ability to push, we might loose the loose coupling the value
stack provides.
+
+ ---- /!\ '''Edit conflict - other version:''' ----
+
+ ---- /!\ '''Edit conflict - your version:''' ----
+     * [Gabe] Just wanted to make it important to clarify that I am not
suggesting that we remove the ability to push on the stack, just remove the
push tag to do it within JSPs. Thus, in your Interceptor etc you would still be
able to push. Also, allowing the ability to set on the stack is a seperate
issue. It would be powerful to be able to add dynamic names to the stack rather
than only be able to use static method names to an object pushed to the stack.
+
+ ---- /!\ '''End of edit conflict''' ----
    1. Hope I know what I'm talking about with this one: Provide a way that
request parameters can be used as a form element value in case of error. If you
submit a form with a text field that requires a numeric value but you enter a
non numeric value and errors are returned, you lose the value entered when the
type conversion happens.
      * [plightbo] We support this already (the value stack has an "overrides"
map which gets set when type conversion errors occur). If this isn't the case,
it's simply a bug :)
    1. Remove OGNL Map attributes (and List/Set to be consistent) such as size,
isEmpty, iterator. These can be accessed by size(), empty, and iterator()
respectively and the way it works now you can never have myMap['size'] because
it will just get the size not the value of the map with key 'size'.
      * [plightbo] +1, all I'd ask is that we try to make it feel as much like
JSTL as possible. Not sure what that means, but just something to keep in mind
:)
+
+ ---- /!\ '''Edit conflict - other version:''' ----
+
+ ---- /!\ '''Edit conflict - your version:''' ----
+     * [Gabe] I agree. OGNL is very much like JSTL already. I wonder if we can
even add the few JSTL features OGNL doesn't have to OGNL and then position OGNL
as an EL that "extends" JSTL.
+
+ ---- /!\ '''End of edit conflict''' ----
    1. Allow indexable parameters similar to how it works in struts (with
indexed="true") but being able to take advantage of XWork's advanced type
conversion features. See: [https://issues.apache.org/struts/browse/WW-1189].
This is unfortunately not trivial at all.
    1. Get rid of the use of static constant variables that are used in the key
in the stack and accessed all over the place like
XWorkNullHandler.CREATE_NULL_OBJECTS etc. I've started to do that with the
OgnlContextState class, but it's not complete and I'm not sure if that's the
best way to do it.
    1. Specify and simplify Interceptor scope. Currently, you have an
Interceptor that calls actionInvocation.invoke() and then returns a different
result than actionInvocation.invoke() returns, the actionInvocation.invoke()
result will be used anyway. This is confusing and muddies the meaning of the
Interceptor API, which IMHO should simply wrap the action not the action all
the way through to the end of the result. The reason it's set up the way it is,
as I understand it, is so that Interceptors can clean up resources like
connections after the result is returned. However, I wonder if we can implement
a request based object that can take care of such resources and destroy them at
the end of the request rather than using Interceptors in this way.