Everything you've described so far is the correct behavior.

If you want the sources for xwork, use Subversion:
  $ svn co https://svn.opensymphony.com/svn/xwork/trunk xwork

You can then cd into xwork/ and do:
  $ mvn install

Then you'll have the sources for a snapshot.

The above is true for virtually any project that uses Maven.

As far as the 'Unbound classpath variable' issue, you'll have to configure that yourself, but once you do it, you won't have to do it again for any other project in that workspace. The variable definitions are per workspace. <- remember that!

To configure a classpath variable, go to Window / Preferences. The drill down to Java / Build Path / Classpath Variables. Hit the New... button, and type M2_REPO in the Name field, then select the Folder... button. Choose the folder on your hard drive that points to your Maven repository.

For example:

  Windows
   C:\Documents and settings\username\.m2\repository\

  Mac
   /Users/username/.m2/repository/

  Linux
   /home/username/.m2/repository/

Hope that helps.

(You can also set M2_REPO using the project preferences / Libraries and editing one of the variables. Either way works fine)

--
James Mitchell