> >>I don't understand, 400 is a common way to say that the request was
> >>wrong, do you want something else?
> >
> > On firefox, a 400 triggers the
> >
> > error: function(xhr, textStatus, errorThrown) {..}
> >
> > so only displays 'Network or server error!' rather than the validation
> > response.
> >
> > Maybe a 400 on other browsers triggers the success: function rather
than
> > the error:  ???
> >
> > success: function (response, statusText, xhr) {..}
>
> I think it will always trigger an error function, only 200 will
> trigger a success function. I think the example is very simple and you
> should extend it, like checking if it was 400 or 500

I'm quite sure that it was working when I created this. I get the same
wrong behavior in chrome and IE, too. My guess is that struts was changed
to use status code 400 when validation errors are present. Previously it
must have used status code 200.

I've pushed a change based on Greg's sample and put it in wiki:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/WW/AJAX+Validation

Actually the success function makes no sense in this new situation anymore
but for now I've left it.

Regards,
Christoph