Github user yasserzamani commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/struts/pull/118

    @lukaszlenart , Yes, surely attribute `bean` is, will be and should be
optional. Also there are no problem with actions which used attribute `class`
as a class not a bean name. But unfortunately, Struts2 uses attribute `class`
also for a bean name rather than a separate attribute which causes not backward
compatible of this improvement :(

    About Annotations I know they works without any change. For conventions and
wildcards and etc I should see.

    Anyway, in case of when action are beans inside user's object factory, we
do not have any way except force user to change config and specify real class ,
Or add another optional attribute and add more conditional and not general
codes for this improvement.

    What is your recommendation in such changes? thanks.

---
with INFRA.
---