Thanks for clarifying Lukasz.

So if I'm understanding correctly, we lack sufficient ownership and
control over the release process at commons-ognl.

I do still think it's worthwhile to try and unify these projects.
Having the project under an 'orphan' org does not inspire confidence
in its maintenance status, nor that of Struts. It also is not
encouraging for developers looking to contribute. For developers such
as myself who contribute on company time, there may also be additional
legal hurdles to contributing, such as a corporate CLA.