Branko Čibej wrote on Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 13:47:12 +0100:
> On 22.02.2017 17:42, Daniel Shahaf wrote:
> > Lorenz wrote on Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 15:28:19 +0000:
> >> I am aware of the svn:externals syntax, but in light of the fact that
> >> ^/ was alread adopted, I thought it best to stick with the ^
> >>
> >> If the cmomand line client accepts the ^  as the "translate the
> >> following path to an URL" marker, then anything after it could be
> >> interpreted as a normal path.
> >>
> >> ^/         repo root relative
> >> ^/../name  sibling repo
> >>
> >> ^subpath   subpath of the  current working copy folder
> >> ^../               parent
> >> ^../path   sibling
> >> ^../../            grand parent
> > If the first of these four were changed to require a ./ path component,
>
> ... then it would not be backward compatible with existing syntax.

My suggestion doesn't change the meaning of the released ^/foo syntax,
only of the ^foo/ syntax [where "foo" doesn't begin with a slash] in
Lorenz's proposal.  Thus, it's backwards compatible.

> > we could repurpose the ^foo/ syntax to something else:
> >
> >     ^./subpath    subpath relative to URL of cwd
> >     ^foo/         as defined by a --config-option=config:short-urls:foo=bar
> > config option
>
> Ah, a config option to enable mutually incompatible semantics to
> short-url syntax!
>
> I'm assuming you're volunteering to personally solve any confusion that
> causes on the users@ list and beyond, for the forseeable future. :)

I'm personally volunteering to fly over to your place and explain on
a whiteboard how this is backwards compatible. :-)