Here's an interesting clue. I added "print type(fp)" after the temp file is opened to see what kind of file object was returned by the open call and got this traceback. How is the type function getting overloaded with svn_fs_type? So far I haven't been able to recreate this with a short hello-world program. So I'm sure something is going wrong in the chain of imports somewhere between mailer.py and fs.py.

File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/svn/fs.py", line 80, in _dump_contents
   print type(fp)
File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/libsvn/fs.py", line 122, in svn_fs_type
   return _fs.svn_fs_type(*args)
TypeError: must be string, not _io.TextIOWrapper