On Mon, Jun 25, 2018 at 05:54:14PM +0100, Julian Foad wrote:
> Julian Foad wrote:
> > Forget about overlap periods, for a moment. Then there will be usually 3
> > supported lines (after a standard release) and sometimes 2 [...]
>
> I am wondering if we have been mis-thinking the support plans. Why should we
> want to backport feature fixes and improvements for 6 months and then
> security fixes for another 6 months in parallel with the next standard
> release? Surely the idea is that the standard releases themselves are the
> opportunity for feature upgrade, and in exchange for being quick on features
> the down side is a short support life.
>
> A lighter proposal (still ignoring overlap periods, for the moment):
>
> LTS: a release every 2 years, with 4 years support (security/corruption
> fixes, and possibly some other improvements at our discretion);
>
> standard: a release every 6 months (between LTS releases), with 6 months
> support (security/corruption fixes only)
>
> WDYT?
>
> - Julian

We have already applied securify patches across 3 releases in some
situations, if I recall correctly. And we did this even though the
3rd of those was already officially at end of life.

I would prefer having just the minimum requirements we are going
to fullfill written down. What you wrote above makes sense to me.
I don't see a problem with making decisions to over-deliver on
these written promises on a case-by-case basis as we see fit.