I have written my proposal and rationale at
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SVN/LTS+and+regular+releases

Summary of my latest thoughts:
* Apps using experimental APIs should be packaged declaring a single-version
dependency. Then there is no need to provide error-return stub versions of dead
APIs.
* We should treat what we are calling "experimental" APIs and what we have
previously called "private" APIs exactly the same.
* In order to give packagers flexibility about packaging experimental APIs, we
should put them in separate header files, and perhaps there is more that we
should do too.

Please read and comment (here and/or there).

--
- Julian