On Fri, Jan 21, 2022 at 6:39 PM Karl Fogel <kfo...@red-bean.com> wrote:

> >2) If we have to add a new compile option, then I suggest we go
> >all
> >the way and also close the backdoor that exists. IOW, if svn is
> >compiled without plaintext support then it also should not be
> >able to
> >read an existing stored plaintext credential.
>
> That was a deliberate compatibility move, and I'm not sure we
> should change it.  Can you describe the harm that would come from
> keeping that behavior vs changing it as you describe above?  I
> guess I don't see how it's a "backdoor".

One aspect of the previous thread that came up is that someone
demonstrated a simple script to create a cached password (as a
workaround for current users). That is what led to the idea of
formalizing this using the svn auth command to create this file.

I am the only one calling this a backdoor. I am saying that if I am an
admin that does not want plaintext passwords being cached and you then
create a simple way to do exactly that, then that is a backdoor around
the policy I wanted. Maybe it is not the right term to use here. I am
just saying if we are going to make someone compile their own binaries
we might as well at least give them what they want.

I return to my "two camps" argument. The people that do not want
plaintext passwords to be cached ... do not want them being cached.

Mark