On Tue, Apr 5, 2022 at 4:49 PM Johan Corveleyn <jcor...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks all for sharing your gpg key hurdles. It saved me a lot of time
> when I ran into the same issues while verifying Mark's signature :-).
>
> 1. Signature algorithm not recognized
> -> updated my gpg to latest version (2.3.4)

When I was faced with that prompt to create the key I was thinking i
should just choose RSA but so many of the docs say not to use it.

> 2. keyserver problem when running 'gpg --refresh-keys'
> -> put 'keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com' into my
> %APPDATA%/gnupg/gpg.conf like Julian did
>
> 3. Mark's key unknown
> -> executed 'gpg --recv-key EC25FCC105618D04ADB43429C4416167349A3BCB' to get
> it
>
> 4. Signature verified OK, but Mark's key not trusted, which, as Nathan
> also said, is normal because it hasn't been crossed-signed by anyone
> in my "web of trust". Okay, it's in the KEYS file (i.e. part of the
> Apache records for Mark's id). This is as good as we can do, so +1.

I am surprised that you all try to verify to this depth. I always just
treated the signatures like a slightly better sha1 and did a simple
gpg --verify to see if the signature was valid? Did you all cross sign
each other's keys at one of the old developer meetups or something?

Mark